Friday, November 4th, 2022
TGIF! It’s time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- Time is racing by and we’re already into the Holiday Season. Crazy! I’m not ready! That said, we are having Thanksgiving here. I already have RSVPs from the kids with dishes they are bringing, so that makes it so much easier. So I’m not really behind.
- Tuesday I found a frozen turkey at my regular store that was more than $50.00. Holy Sticker Shock, Batman! Then I went to Walmart to buy Maggie a new dog bed (she loves it!) and found the same size turkey for $27.00. SCORE! And it fits in my oven! I think it’ll be fun to have T-Day here as long as I keep insane Jen locked in the closet. Insane Jen will try to get all the furniture and wall hangings bought and placed and create a stupid impossible amount of pointless pressure. So she’s locked up tight and not getting out.
- I had my followup visit, at which point I found out they GI practice is closing. Insert eye roll here. But what I know is this so far: My ulcers are only from the meds that I’ve stopped taking. I don’t need to worry that other foods or drinks are causing them. I can adjust my diet to whatever makes me comfortable. Those are two good pieces of news. The other news (nothing bad) is that one, while the diet did help some of the occasional nausea, it did nothing to help the on and off again pain on my right side. Pain like that is so weird it could be anything and is likely nothing significant or worrisome. But I agreed to a CT scan to check out a couple more things. In the meantime, I’m watching my diet and taking some meds to help and we’ll see. Let me just say though, I have a diagnosis of a redundant and torturous colon, but honestly I think the medical system is MORE redundant and torturous. I just want someone to say, stop eating this food, take this vitamin and go live your life. Wouldn’t it be great if life were that easy?
- I have to brag. Wizard hung the cabinets he built for the garage with only my help!! I did it! Mostly because Wizard used a slide in bracket system that just required the two of us to lift the cabinet and slide it up and onto the bracket where it locks into place. I’ve helped him move, lift and saw quite a few parts. It’s amazing what the two of us can do if we think it through first. But if I’d had to try and hold those cabinets that high while he drilled and screwed them in, I doubt I could have done it.
- We have a plan to see Turbo tomorrow, but I’m skeptical it will happen. Oldest is working on kicking the cold, and there’s just a swirl of stuff happening. So I’m in wait and see mode. Today I’m dragging Wizard out (or will go by myself) to look at chairs (this isn’t Insane Jen, this is part-of-the-plan- budget-Jen ). Well that’s assuming if all the relatives are doing okay. They are more important than a chair or table.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!
November 4th, 2022 at 6:50 am · Link
Ack, the holidays! Nope, not ready to think about them yet. Yay for finding a turkey that works for you and your budget. I’m glad it wasn’t your diet causing you problems. Sorry they didn’t get everything figured out for you, though. Yay for helping hang cabinets! You rock. Fingers crossed that you get to visit Turbo tomorrow. :hugs:
1) Go visit Silver’s blog. The video she posted this morning is AWESOME. It gave me a serious happy.
2) It’s weeks like this that make me wish I could talk specifics about work online. I’d love to dish with y’all.
3) My picture is up on the work website now. I don’t like it, but it is what it is. (The pic makes me look old and a little psycho, and I’d really rather not have customers know who I am, especially the ones I make collection calls to. Actually, the psycho part might help with that. LOL)
4) I came home yesterday to Hubs raking leaves. Yup, it’s that time again. And probably what’s in store for my weekend.
5) Ugh, I lack motivation to get ready for work this morning. I should’ve hit the shower 15 minutes ago. But I don’t wanna. I wonder if I can get away with just slouching into the office in my jammies. Probably not. :shrug:
Have a great day!
November 4th, 2022 at 10:07 am · Link
I’m not ready for the holidays! Score on the turkey! And no stress. Trust me! Glad Maggie loves her new bed. Are they at least going to refer you to a new GI? And yeah, dealing with medicos is a PITA. Wiz is all kinds of awesome–as is your assistance. Hope the family gets/stays healthy and crossing fingers 🤞🏼 for Turbo Time™. Now for my five:
1. Speaking of dog beds, LG bough a second giant bed like the one shoved under the drafting/art table in my office. Both dogs liked it and LG thought maybe Boone would use it if he put it in his office, tucked up under the table he uses as his desk. Nope. Neither of them bit. Then he moved it to the family room. Same reaction. It is now in my office and both dogs are happy when they both settle in here. Go figure.
2. The fall fundrasier is happening tonight at Stormy’s school. Only is PTA prez so very involved. I ordered two “reading” bears (a boy and girl) from Build-a-Bear for two baskets. They’ll be supplemented with books.
3. And speaking of the auction, this is the first time in 2 years they get to hold it in person with dinner. Sports is the theme so she called about some of her trophies to use as table decorations. Yay! I told her all 8 would be going to her house after the auction. I’ve been trying YEARS to get her to take her stuff home or to their storage unit. LOLOL
3. Hissy Cat (aka Long Tom Silver) is minding his manners better. He was very agressive about the food and would lunge to get even the kibble. He inhales the gushy food. I finally started fixing the food inside and taking it so that Shy and Smudge (when she’s around) had a chance. After several days of that, I noticed LT was absent so I fixed the food outside on the porch bench like normal. LT appeared and while he meowed and hissed slightly, he didn’t give me the bum’s rush and waited until I put the food dishes down. Progress!
4. I wasn’t going to but I decided to go ahead and “declare” for National Novel Writing Month (NaNo). I’m cheating a little bit, because I have to finish polishing UNDER THE ASSASSIN’S MOON before I can get back to serious working on CROSSFIRE, which is waaay behind schedule and doesn’t have all that many words so that’s my project.
5. First Satruday tomorrow so siren test and family lunch at Alvarado’s. Yay. We’ve got a cold front barreling through today. As I’m typing this at about 10 a.m., it’s 71 degrees. After the front and the rain with it passes by about noon, the meteorologist are saying temps will drop into the 40s. This is what we call a blue norther ’round here. Beef stew and cornbread for dinner. Yum!
Have a great weekend, all!
November 4th, 2022 at 3:28 pm · Link
1. Good job getting a start on the holidays and with the kids bringing dishes to the meal. Mine don’t even offer.
2. Oh my $50 for a turkey. They warned us that they would be outrageous. Good job finding one for $27. I really lucked out getting one at $0.87/pound. Under $20.
3. That’s good news on the ulcers. You just have to avoid what triggers them right? Did they give you meds to heal them? It’s good you’re having a CT to investigate that strange pain in your side. Best to try and figure out what is causing the pain.
4. GOOD JOB! Hey, with RA anything we do like that is fantastic.
5. Oh boy, I hope oldest kicks that cold. It’s been a few weeks since you’ve seen Turbo. You must be missing one another.
Smart to work on keeping crazy Jen locked up. Did you find chairs?
1a. Not getting to meet with girlfriend this go around. She caught the grandbaby’s cold. I didn’t want to possibly get it and infect hubs. They should be back up here for Thanksgiving. Hopefully we’ll meet up then.
2a. Hubs is off to TN tomorrow. I wish it were simple to get him booked and ready for the trip but it’s not. He is very indecisive and it makes things a bear. Youngest has helped out quiet a bit with booking the tickets.
3a. Tomorrow afternoon youngest and I are going to half price books where I will unload a bunch. We will then go to Costco and finally out for dinner.
4a. Middle is visiting a friend in NY this weekend so he will stop in an check on my mom. He’s a good kid :).
5a. I had to buy Spunks meds this week. The last two refills the pills had gone up a dollar each time. This refill they were up two dollars. But there is no inflation. Tomorrow I have to buy his food which is going to be almost $120. It’s getting crazy. I really worry for pets. Some people aren’t as fortunate as I am and won’t have the money to care for the animals. I fear many will be dumped in the coming months. Praying things begin to turn around soon.
On a happier note, the wild cat sanctuary I support is taking 4 lion cubs (4 months old) from Ukraine. They should arrive by the end of the year.
Have a wonderful weekend.
November 4th, 2022 at 4:44 pm · Link
B.E., thanks! We may have more answers than we think because some of my insides are so twisted. If we can get the CT scan approved, thats the next step. But today I’m just over medical stuff
1) Yay! It’s a fun video!
2) Man the rules ruin all our fun on dishing about work. But I gotta respect the reasonable boundaries, and you for following them!
3) I bet your picture is better than you think. But I do get how you’d rather be an anonymous voice on the phone. LOL on a psycho-looking pic helping you! But I still suspect you look great in the pic.
4) Fall is full of leaves to rake! I’m seeing them on my walks now and they make me think about decorating cakes (because fondant leaves on fun to make and create the right textures and shading). Sorry about all the raking!
5) Well I saw a woman in her PJs and ratty bed hair in Target right around noon today, so if it works there maybe it works at your office? Probably not, LOL!
Hope you had a good day at the office and enjoy a great weekend!
November 4th, 2022 at 4:59 pm · Link
Silver, my regular doc will refer me. Well get it sorted out. But we know a lot more now than before we started down this road, so I need to stay positive. So far I can tolerate the pain.
I’m don’t think we’ll see Turbo. He keeps have little flare ups of this virus and he threw up yesterday. I called a halt because his parents will try too hard to accommodate us when they all need some rest and time to just catch their breath.
1) The dogs want to be in your office! They seem very clear on that, LOL. Sometimes dogs are as picky as cats. But I think it’s funny LG was trying to coax them into his office.
2) Wow Only has her hands full between her job and PTA prez! I bet the reading bears are adorable!
3) Okay you have two 3’s so I’ll answer them both here Ha! Good way to get her to take the trophies! And great job on training hissy cat to show some manners!
4) Great way to get your projects done using NANO as motivation. And that’s why NANO was created right? So you’re not cheating.
5) I saw a warning for some big thunder storms in your state. Hope you’re able to do the test and lunch before anything significant hits. Stay safe! And by the way, corn bread sounds so good, I need to make some!
Hope you have a great weekend!
November 4th, 2022 at 5:10 pm · Link
Viki, it’s the girls (daughters in law) that always offer to help and do great. The boys will do anything I specifically ask them too, but the girls are amazing. They all have amazing moms so that’s probably why.
We liked a few chairs we looked at last night but still thinking. We may have to order and wait, plus the outside is going to be a big hit to the budget. But we are narrowing down what we want so that’s good.
We miss Turbo! But this stuff happens.
1) Bummer that your friend caught the baby’s cold. You’re going through the same thing we are with Turbo. But it’s smarter not to get sick.
2) Wow it’s a marathon every time you guys book his trip. I hope it gets easier!
3) The dinner part sounds like fun! Hope you have a great mean and enjoy it!
4) He’s a great kid to check up on your mom. Seriously! I wish more grandkids did that.
5) I was just thinking that today too (worrying about pets) when I ordered Maggie’s special food and treats at the cost of $168.00. There was a time where I simply couldn’t have done that. It’s going to get worse. And people are so critical of people giving up pets, but often don’t understand they literally can’t afford them and are devastated by it. The pain of this correction is terrible.
That’s awesome about the wild cat sanctuary!!
I really hope you have a great weekend!