Friday, December 9th, 2022
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our weeks. Here’s mine:
- Wizard has a cold, and today we think I’m getting it. But I thought that once before, then woke up feeling fine the next day so we’ll see. It’s been years since I’ve been sick, and I think it’s rude of this virus to even consider breaking my winning streak. All things considered, though, I’ll take a cold over the flu or Covid.
- Monday a window frame repair place was scheduled to come assess is large chip in the frame of our sliding glass door. It’s a warranty issue, and when the office gal called to schedule the appointment she wasn’t particularly friendly. They didn’t show up at all on Monday, with no calls or anything until Wednesday. When the same woman called Wednesday she said “she was calling to schedule an appointment.” I told her we had an appointment and no one showed or called. She said, “Yes I know, the technician didn’t tell anyone…” and finally she grudging added, “Sorry.” I’m held on hard to my patience and reschedule but I was so irritated. Wizard is too. But I will say this — we have perpetually been waiting for various things in he house, repairs or services set up or deliveries, and most of them go well or they call and explain the problem which happens and we understand. And while this one bugs us, we go our of our way to make sure the ones who do show up and do their job, or call to let us know why they can’t, that we appreciate them. We even fill out the annoying surveys because it helps them out. So this company is just one bad apple in a bushel and I need to NOT let them take up any more mental real estate than absolutely necessary.
- Now for the funnier story. So we bought the two chairs that were supposed to recline, but didn’t. The repair guy came. His name is Eddie, and he has been here before to fix the wiring on our power recliner couch. He shows up and he’s baffled too. The chairs do not recline by pushing back as we were told. All my paperwork didn’t help him solve this mystery of why the chairs have the equipment to recline, but don’t do it. Finally, after all of us stood around and stared at the chairs like they might spill their secrets, I got out my phone, pulled up the chair on the website and handed it to Eddie. He read, swiped and read some more. Then he sat in the chair and magically made it recline! Wizard and I were stunned. We begged him to know how he did it! By this point, Eddie was pretty proud and showed us — and I’m not kidding — there’s a hidden handle buried between the cushion and the arm of the chair. We were torn between laughter and embarrassment But the mystery is solved and we’re very happy. Eddie is clearly a genius while Wizard and me…not so much.
- We tackled Christmas! We have the tree up and decorated. We’ve gotten probably 70% of the shopping done. Yesterday I went to Walmart early and bought a lot of baking ingredients and wrapping supplies then suffered total shock at the cash register. It’s a good thing I have a strong heart! I even have begun writing some Christmas cards. It’s going to be crazy busy over the next two weeks, but that’s okay, we seem to be handling it.
- This weekend, I think we’re staying home. I need to bake and clean and do various chores. If I get sick, I’ll just do what I can that doesn’t infect others and add in some rest (maybe, I’m not great at that!) But if I beat back the cold, then I’ll brag on Monday and get sick on Tuesday, LOLOL. Oh and in theory, work is supposed to start Saturday on the retaining walls and various hardscapes we’re having done outside. But that depends if the previous job the crew is working on is done. Plus rain is predicted and that causes more delays. So we’ll see.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend, and that you all stay well and sane as we get into the holiday madness!
December 9th, 2022 at 8:03 am · Link
Bummer about the cold. But yeah, at least it’s not the flu or the ‘rona. Gah, I hate when I make an appointment and they don’t show up. I am also one who showers praise on those who do their job. Yay for Eddie! Yay for tackling Christmas! Staying home sounds like a good plan for you. Fingers crossed you don’t catch the cold. :hugs:
1) I’ve been drinking a lot of OJ and tonic. I’m not sure if the tonic is helping me defeat the crud that’s been going around, but I haven’t gotten any of it, so I’m sticking to my drink.
2) Hubs is putting the flannel sheets on the bed today. Yay for not sliding into bed in cold sheets.
3) Almost all my Christmas cards are in the mail. I have a couple left to finish. I still haven’t put the tree up, though. =o\
4) I can’t believe it’s Friday. This week just flew by.
5) Ugh, I do not want to go to work today. Not that there’s anything bad there, but I miss the days of not working. :shrug: Oh, well, heigh-ho heigh-ho…
December 9th, 2022 at 9:10 am · Link
🤞🏼 crossed that Wiz gets well and you don’t get it! I have a real dislike for rude service people. I’ve been lucky *knock wood* dealing with good ones–no bad. Yay for baking, boo for tab. Not laughing at you about the chairs but 🤣. That’s something that would happen to LG and me! Yay for Christmas tackles and staying in. So, my five:
1. I just discovered that the company that moved into an old Walmart Neighborhood Market building not far from the house is called Bakery Bling. They manufacture edible glitter, crysalized sugers and cookie/gingerbread kits for retail sales at Wallyworld, Target, etc. I immediately thought of you.
2. Also thinking of you when I opened an Audible email today. My Audible deal of the day (for being a member) is a book called DIAMOND EYE. It’s based on a true story about a librarian in Kiev who is conscripted by the Russian Army in WWII and becomes the premier sniper. She goes to Washington and becomes friends with Eleanor Roosevelt.
3. Speaking of service dudes, the garage guy should be here next week. His life has been extremely crazy but all the parts and material has arrived and Uncle Fix-It is coming Sunday to help LG move metal file cabinets. Turns out the $1800 we thought one door was going to be is actually for both doors. Now we have to move 20+ years of stuff stacked in front of the second door that hasn’t been opened in 20+ years because the original garage door opener stopped working like a year after we moved in. Hopefully, LG can work a deal with the guy to install Pete’s cat door. Also, it should be done before the arctic air hits in the next two weeks.
4. Stormy’s school Christmas program was Wednesday night. Good heavens but we laughed almost all the way through it. The title of the show was “The Loaned Manger.” The musical was set in a fictional Oklahoma town named Incarnation. One soloist sang “Oh Come Emmanual” to the tune of “The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly” or a similar western movie theme. Another, along with the chorus (of which Stormy was a part of because his besties convinced him to go out for recess instead of trying out for a speaking part 🙄 ), sang the “Hallelujah Chorus” to the tune of a current country song. That stuff is HARD! Not sure if anyone here is familiar with Ranger Doug and Riders in the Sky, but whoever penned the program was. The puns and word play had the audience giggling. Only and I were almost in tears trying to keep from guffawing out loud.
5. Sadly, I have no funny (or otherwise) Pete, Repeat, or Loki story for the week. Nor have Boone, Jake, or the ferals done anything of note. Jake has reminded me not to yell at my MS when I get frustrated. That said, the changes I’m making to satisfy The NitPicker are working out better than I expected and much better than the original so there’s that. Stormy has soccer Saturday afternoon. I’ll help LG sort garage stuff between keep, make Only take to her house, and donations to the thrift store. And I’ll get caught back up so I can start moving forward on the dang book once again.
Have a great weekend all!
December 9th, 2022 at 3:04 pm · Link
1. Wizard has had that cold for a while now. Sounds like the one that was going around here a few weeks ago. It hung on for about 2 1/2 weeks. I sure hope you do not get it but if you do start taking Manuka Honey and rest like crazy.
2. That is just terrible the tech not even calling in to his base to let them know he wasn’t showing up. He could have at least done that and they could have called you. Service is a hit or miss lately. As you stated though, always commend those that do show and do a good job.
3. That is SUCH good news on the chairs. I love that the handle is hidden but it would have been nice to know that all along 😊.
4. Excellent on getting Christmas tackled.
5. It’s good for you to stay home and take it easy, just in case you are getting sick. Rest is the best medicine. It would be wonderful if the retaining walls do start going up this weekend. I worry about things like that, so the sooner the better.
1a. I had my RO system replaced on Tuesday. I was not happy with the faucet they put in. It dripped and the handle wiggled. I called and they sent my favorite guy out this afternoon after lunch. It was a set screw and he fixed it right away. It’s so nice when the ones that know what they are doing come to the house. Tim wouldn’t have left here Tuesday with the faucet the way it was. When I here he’s coming I always know things will be good.
2a. That hand massager youngest gave me is so good. I love it. Hubs loves it too.
3a. I will do cards this weekend and I need to take care of youngest and girlfriend as well as hubs and then I’m done.
4a. Yesterday youngest came over to help hubs with tickets to go see Harrison. Looks like hubs will be going down a week from Monday.
5a. Tomorrow we’re taking middle out for his birthday. It was Tuesday but this weekend worked better for him than last weekend. We’re going Indian. Hubs doesn’t really like it but kid does. All but the TN family will be going. It should be a nice time even if we just have to keep feeding hubs naan 😆.
I really hope you stay healthy and the Wizard kicks the cold so you can have a wonderful weekend.
December 10th, 2022 at 6:25 pm · Link
B.E., I caught the cold :-). But still better than the other stuff. It’s also making me dumb and unable to follow recipes, LOL.
1) If it’s working for you, then definitely keep it up!
2) Enjoy your warm sheets.
3) You’re ahead of me on Christmas Cards but I win in the tree department What really matters is doing what makes us happy.
4) I can’t believe it’s late Saturday and I’m still struggling to find a chunk of time to answer the blog.
5) Hope yesterday turned out to be a good day for you at work. But hugs on the days you don’t feel like going in and miss being at home — I get it.
Hope your weekend is going well!
December 10th, 2022 at 6:38 pm · Link
Silver, go ahead and laugh! Both Wizard and I did! It is funny!
1) I love the name of that store!! And LOL on thinking of me. I’m still trying to find time to go to the cake store a half hour from our house.
2) I’m haunting your thoughts! And also honored that you think of me.
3) YAY for get both doors done! But sympathies on having to move the stuff that accumulated. That is always a major chore. And I hope Pete can get his cat door.
4) That sounds like one of the most entertaining, creative and challenging kid’s Christmas shows I’ve heard of in a long, long time! Kudos to the folks who set that up — it had to be a lot of work but worth it! I love it!
5) Sounds like the critters see how hard you’re working to tame the nitpicker and make your story sing! I’m so glad you’re happy with the results. Hope you can get all the stuff sorted and moved without losing too much time or energy.
Hope you’re weekend is going well!
December 10th, 2022 at 6:48 pm · Link
Viki, Wizard is getting much better, just the end hanging on and mostly bugging him towards evening. My brain says I’m not sick enough to sit around, but I mostly made a mess of things I tried to do today
1) I can really appreciate how much you like and trust Tim to do the job. So glad he came out and fixed the faucet. I’ll never understand the ones who don’t do it right.
2) That massager must feel great on your hands!
3) Hope you’re able to get a lot done this weekend.
4) Hubs and Harrison are best buddies! And youngest is always awesome.
5) Happy Birthday to your Middle Son!! I hope you all have a great time at dinner, and hubs finds something he enjoys eat. Enjoy your family!
Hope you have a great weekend!