TGIF! We are nearing half way through the first month of 2023! Okay, let’s get right into sharing five random things about our weeks. Here’s mine:
- The weather. So parts of California have been hit really hard with the rains. I think the number now is 18 people killed, which is very sad. There’s been some very dramatic mud slides and scary sinkholes. But our area so far is okay. Our neighborhood is at the base of the National Forest, but fortunately, we’ve had several years of growth there since the fires that savaged that forest. That should help to keep those hills stable. Before this housing track was built, they put in significant drainage, I know because I watched them do it. It’s also helpful that we are getting about four days of dry weather before the next in the series of storms expected to hit. The upside of all this is the hills are so pretty. I’m enjoying the rain more with the nice breaks.
- I ordered a pair of hiking shoes. I opted not to get boots, I don’t do serious enough hiking to need that. But these are waterproof and designed for hiking. I hope they work.
- We are getting the hardscape portion of our landscaping! This crew is so danged hardworking! I’m always impressed by good skilled laborers. They are building the retaining walls, all the drainage (we added more and better drainage than what the housing track put in) planters and will pour all the concrete. The rest of the landscaping will come later, but having this much will be great. They’ll get as much as the can done before the predicted rains on Saturday, then return once that has stopped and the areas are dry enough to continue.
- So yesterday I went to buy some oat flour, but the store I went to didn’t have it, so I bought a “gluten free” flour made of rice flour and various other substances. I was an idiot to buy that, it’s not what I wanted. But I also did NOT want to go to Walmart in the afternoon to get the oat flour Now I’m unhappy with the chocolate chip cookies I made. We’ll see when we taste test them later, but just trying to get these things to bake enough without burning was a challenge. It’s my own fault! I do think the oat flour would have worked better, and I also think I need to reconsider the recipe I’m using for gluten and dairy free. I prefer real butter and flour cookies, but my stomach has been having some epic toddle tempter tantrum for two weeks now and I’m trying to appease it with cookies because how else down you calm uber cranky toddlers????
- This weekend we’re supposed to go to Monster Jam with Turbo but probably not if it’s raining. While they will probably still run and be awesome to watch, sitting in the rain doesn’t sound like fun. We’ll see.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend!