TGIF!! I honestly can’t believe it’s Friday, but here we are! It’s time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I was on a wicked losing streak with audiobooks, and then I saw “Outlander” by Diane Gabaldon was on my free list (meaning books that are included in my monthly fee, so not really free). I read that book decades ago and never watched the series, so I figured I’d listen to it. I have to say, that book holds up for me. I’m enjoying it! In physical books, this week I read a nonfiction “The Microbiome Connection” by two gastroenterologist. It’s not exciting reading, but I found it helpful. Then I started listening to podcasts along the same line, and YouTube determined that I must be on a weight loss journey, and began suggesting podcasts like “How to melt the fat off” Or other quick fix quackery nonsense that I’m way too old and jaded to believe or care about. <<Insert Eye Roll Here>> One a more serious note, I’m concentrating on getting more comprehensive information on the things my doctors have told me. While they are good and dedicated, they don’t have the time to explain the in depth research behind the concepts.
- Yesterday once the rain tapered off to a mist, I took Maggie for a walk along the stream behind our house. The stream has completely washed out a road to get up to the ranches in the hills which must suck for them. Maggie and I enjoyed the walk until the end. But before I get to that, here’s a pic
- So we were very careful and I know this area well. However I failed to think about one critical detail — by the street, either the housing track of the city are planting trees and shrub. Looking at the picture, the road is on the right, up a small incline. Maggie and I walked on a flat area where I wouldn’t slip. That went great. But at the end, I needed to step up a slight rise to get to the street. I’ve done this so many times! But this time, once I stepped, I sank. Like quicksand! It happened so fast, the mud got up to my knee before I could get enough leverage to pull my leg out. I was fine–just soaked in mud. Maggie had, of course, stepped up there too, and her paws sank a few inches too. My best guess is maybe there was a whole for a plant there, and all the rain pushed the soft dirt back in, and when I stepped in the perfect spot — I sank! Once Maggie and I were free, I started to walk home, but I was soooo covered in mud, I gave in and called Wizard. If you listen carefully, you can still hear him laughing! It took a long time to get all that cleaned up! My jeans were so mud caked, I had to squirt them off with the hose before I dared put them in the washer. I dumped Maggie in the bathtub, and had to hand wash her collar and leash. It was quite an adventure! But it wasn’t until later than it dawned on me I could have been hurt, especially if I’d fallen with the bottom half of my leg stuck in that mud. But I wasn’t hurt so it’s all good
- We have another storm moving in early next week, but so far, that looks like less rain which is very good. Flood and rockslides are a big worry. The good news for us is our backyard is draining really well. We are very happy about that.
- Today is Turbo’s birthday! He’s five years old and growing into such a big boy. He’s having a party tomorrow and that will be fun. So far, that’s about all we have planned.
So that’s my five and now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!