TGIF! Once again, I’m shocked how fast Friday arrived! The days are just whizzing by. But it is Friday, so it’s time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
1) Outside where we just planted flowers, we have something called Dog Vomit Slime because it looks like dog vomit (or scrambled eggs…but lets not go there). It’s so weird, but apparently harmless. When we first saw it appear one morning this week, we thought Maggie had been very sick and were concerned. Then we learned what it was…LOLOL! The best part is that Maggie is fine.
2) It’s been another busy week, mostly because I keep trying to do too many things in too few hours I used to think it was because I spent so many hours writing or trying to write, but now I’m getting a clearer picture of my…uh…let’s call it optimism on how much I can actually do in a day. I blame my brain that refuses to let me sit down or do fun things if I have not checked off the tasks I put on my mental check list. I mean I should be able to hit a delete button somewhere right? But my brain is not a believer in the delete button.
3) I bought a bunch of shirts. I’m desperate for clothes for various reasons, and made myself start somewhere. It’s just a few t-shirts and tank tops, but I’m proud of myself for finding that much. Although I was shocked at how much it cost. I mean I shopped at The Gap at an outlet center and all the shirts were on sale. Maybe I just hate spending money on clothes that don’t turn me into a young supermodel Next I have to clean the crap out of my closet. I have some basically unwearable things in there I’ve hung onto “just in case” but I’m never clear on what that “just in case” might actually be. Like a locust invasion where no one will notice shredding seams because I’ll be covered in buzzing grasshoppers???
4) I just began hydrating my new sourdough starter that I bought freeze dried. I’ll know by next week how that’s doing. It’s for a white bread sourdough, meaning it’s basically all-purpose flour and water. Rye-N, who is now misname because I’ve converted him from a rye flour starter to a wheat flour starter, is doing amazing! I feed him roughly once a week and he rises like the superstar every time. I hope my new starter, Willa, does the same. (Willa came to me with that name, so I’m keeping it).
5) The plan this weekend is for Special K and Turbo to come over on Saturday. CPA Boy will come too if he can, but he’s still in tax season so he’ll play it by ear. We’re looking forward to that! I may even try out a new chicken enchilada recipe while they’re here — we’ll see. It all depends if I can get some prep done, and if I can’t, no one will care. The point is to just have fun with Special K, Turbo and maybe CPA Boy.
So that was my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
April 14th, 2023 at 10:39 am · Link
Yay for Willa and Rye-N Wheat-in! Weird fungi. Hi, Maggie! Who’s a good girl?!?! Yay for Special-K-Turbo Time™ and maybe CPA Boy. And boy do I hear you on the clothes thing. My five, which is about 2 weeks worth. LOL
1. LG has a “new” truck. We just happened to luck onto it. It’s a black/black 2013 Ford F150 Platinum edition. It has EVERYTHING! Heated AND cooled seats front and rear. Backup camera, moonroof, automatic step-up running boards (they drop down when you open a door then go back under the truck when the door closes. Plus a bunch of other stuff. The car lot owner made us a great deal and we even have enough for tag and taxes! NO car payments! Yay!
2. We are finally on the slow road to recovery. Still low energy if we overdo things but appetities coming back and we can actually do stuff without having to automatically take a nap. LOL
3. My new glasses arrive in7-10 business days. Right eye “stablized” between 20/25 and 20/50 so slight far distance correction and full up-close correction so I can read the fin print. Yay! Left eye, with head-tilting and eye-rolling got to 20/600 so the corrections will do what it can. Considering the only vision I had in that eyes was splotches of color and I can now make out blurry shapes? Miracle in my book. The glaucoma pretty much wiped out the optic nerve and the docs (after looking at my “vision map) of that eye) are as pleased as I am. Still on light glaucoma drops in both eyes to keep pressure down. I can live with that. And can’t wait for glasses so I can SEE again!
4. Jake has a whole new set of fangirls at the Dean McGee Eye Institute. We were there early yesterday for my optomistrist appointment and they came out from ALL the stations (front desk, various testing clinics, etc) to pet him. Good thing he loves pets!
5. Switching over to summer linens on the bed today, even though I can’t wash the winter ones. True story. I went to Wallyworld Wednesday. Top of the list–Clothes Soap. Yesterday, as I started regular laundry, the new jug wasn’t on the washer. LG unloaded the car, leaving garage stuff (like laundry, soda pop, and dog/cat food) in the garage. He swore he hadn’t seen laundry soap. Found my receipt. I hadn’t paid for soap. WTH? Head scratching moment. I finally remembered setting the jug up on the refrigerator case next to the self-checkout register in order to scan Pepsi, sunflower seeds(birds), and dog food. I promptly forgot it was up there. Now I have just enough left to finish regular laundry and wash the mattress pad so I can make up the bed. Sheets and comforter will have to wait until I get back to the store. My brain, it is tapioca!
Have a great weekend all. We finally have nice weather and feel good enough to make it to Stormy’s soccer game tomorrow. Yay! Also, softball! Go, Cowgirls!
April 14th, 2023 at 2:55 pm · Link
1. That slime sounds wicked ugly. So happy you found out what it was and that Maggie is fine. Is there an easy way to get rid of it?
2. 😁I can totally relate to your issue in #2. If you can find a way to hit that delete or even pause button, let me know.
3. New clothes are fun (I just bought some too😄, top and pants). Yup, time to dump the “I might need this” clothes. I did that a few weeks ago.
4. I love Willa – great name. Are you going to re-name Rye-N? Where did you find the freeze dried starter? I did a search when you first mentioned it but came up with nothing.
5. I hope you have a great time with Special K and Turbo and CPA Boy if he can get away. Another week and he should be freed up a little bit.
1a. Well the other night my mother’s neighbors started texting me that I had to do something. They know that my cousin has PA but that didn’t stop them. I guess when my mom got home about 30 different people showed up over 5 hours. This just ruined her even more to the point she couldn’t even sit up. So youngest left work yesterday around 10 and picked me up and we headed up to NY. The neighbors went too far (with hearts of gold, they really mean well). My cousin was there and had been all night. She was staying last night too until my Uncle could get there this morning.
2a. While we were there, my mom was aware and talking but in and out because she was on morphine. She was so happy that C and I were there. We had her laughing and I think we made her happy. Unfortunately, as of this morning she won’t even take ice chips.
3a. Like you, I bought some clothes. I decided to buy two pairs of the same pants to figure which fit and send the other back. The shirt isa an XS and appears to fit.
4a. It’s another warm day here, 83F. I’m upstairs thinking it’s hot up here. Monday it will be cool again.
5a. I picked up my glasses Wednesday. Funny how clear things can be.
I hope you have a great weekend!
April 14th, 2023 at 5:12 pm · Link
Silver, Rye-N Wheat-in cracked me up. Okay let’s get into your five:
1) Congrats on LG’s new truck! And boy you weren’t kidding about fully loaded! I have a backup camera on one car and love it. The retracting running boards are very cool! And yay for the great deal too!
2) That was an awful virus you guys had! I really hope it’s gone for good now.
3) Mostly good news on your eyes! I wish the glaucoma hadn’t done so much damage, but the surgeries saved what could be saved and that’s worth celebrating. Hope the new glasses make the world a clearer place
4) I would expect nothing less from Jake — of course everyone falls in love with him! It makes me jealous that I haven’t met him in person, LOL! I know I’d be his instant fan girl too!
5) The soap story sounds like my life, LOLOL!! I’ve done very similar things and it’s always something key I went to the store for in the first place. The good news is — it’s all survivable And you did get the linens swapped out so you can be season appropriate! Our “seasonal” bedding changes is to put our “winter” afghans away. Wizard has one his mom made him and I have one my sister made me.
Hope you have a great weekend full of health and energy to go to Stormy’s game and cheer on your Cowgirls!
April 14th, 2023 at 5:23 pm · Link
Viki, I got the refreeze dried starter from a place called Ballerina Farm that my daughter in law told me about. Here’s the link https://ballerinafarm.com/products/ballerina-farm-sourdough-starter-willa
As for the fungus, we just let it dry, pick it up and throw it away (with a shovel!). It’ll stop on it’s own, I think, kind of like how mushrooms pop up then stop.
1) Man, I’m sorry, you must have been pretty worried. I get how the neighbors really meant well. On the other hand, it’s not easy for you to get there either.
2) At least the upside is how happy you made your mom. At least until the morning when she wouldn’t even take ice chips. None of this is easy for any of you.
3) I’m glad you found a shirt and pants! It’s a battle to find clothes that fit and that we want to actually wear. And find is a win!
4) 83 is hot to me Hope Monday brings relief but not too cold. Although with the weather this year, who knows what craziness will happen next. Texas got slammed this week with 2 feet of rain!
5) Sounds like your happy with your new glasses!
Hope you have a good weekend and your mom has an easy and restful one.